Tuesday, May 11, 2010

What is Mother’s Day in the 21st Century with an iGeneration, digital young man?

cross-posted at Techlearning.com
Before I tell you about my Mother’s Day, I thought I would look up  some information about Mother’s Day.


What do Japan, India, Pakistan, Germany, Canada, Brazil, Bangladesh, Australia and many other countries have in common with the United States of America? We all celebrate Mother’s Day on the second Sunday of the month of May. You can read in more detail here at Wikipedia. It is amazing that this is such an international day of celebration. It is something many of us can relate to and something we all have a part in whether we celebrate our own mothers or we celebrate with our children or we celebrate with any and all mothers around us.

Back to Mother’s Day May 9, 2010. Our son, Daniel,  a recent graduate from the University of Maine, Orono, decided to make dinner for me on Mother’s Day. Where did he get his recipe, where did he learn how to cook this dish he chose, how was he going to measure up? 
How did he do this? He watched the Giada de Laurentiis television cooking show, found the ingredients at the store, then used the Internet to find the recipe to prepare the meal. The laptop on the kitchen counter replaces the hundreds of cookbooks I have in my cupboards. He has access to millions more recipes and mentors for cooking than I had growing up.

I still remember the day I  learned how to make biscuits from my grandmother. I had to drive hundreds of miles to see her and then I watched her prepare biscuits, which to this day I still make from scratch. I remember teaching and cooking with all my sons. We prepared hundreds of snacks, breakfasts, lunches and dinners. Daniel knows his way around the kitchen. However, he has also benefited from the numerous televised cooking shows. When he wants to prepare a meal, he has millions of options, not just those on my cookbook shelf. Daniel can choose from many cooking mentors anytime of day, any culture, any meal. 

Join us for Spaghetti with smashed peas, sausage and ricotta cheese. Yum. 

No comments: